Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Here Comes The Sun?

The ring of the telephone woke me up. I had fallen asleep, leaned back in my chair, with my feet propped up on my desk. It has been happening frequently over the last few days. For more than two weeks now, St. Louis has been blanketed by thick cloud cover, so that we've gotten NO direct sunlight. Combine this with my usual insomnia, and it's made me especially tired.

I planted my feet back on the ground and answered the phone. It was Mike Tanner. I still don't know how he can manage to sound chipper at.... I checked the clock... 9:40 in the morning. Even if the sun were OUT, I couldn't be chipper at 9:40 in the morning.

"We're still on for lunch, right?" he asked.

"It's not even 10 yet, and you're wanting to know lunch plans?"

"I like to know what I'm doing."

"Call me at noon," I responded. "For now, my only plans are to walk down to Caribou and get an espresso."

We hung up and I stood and stretched. I took a brief look out my office window. Another overcast day, spreading depression across the city. The weatherman predicts a brief bit of sunshine this afternoon, but clouding back over by tonight...I'm rapidly switching between insomnia and narcolepsy...

No comments:

Post a Comment